Position: Part-time Accompanist, Music Department
☒ Designated Onsite
☐ Telework Eligible
Reporting Relationship: Reports directly to Chair of Music
From the top of Mount St. Alban, St. Albans School looks up to the Washington National Cathedral and out to the United States Capitol. Our location serves as an embodiment and constant reminder of the School’s motto: Pro Ecclesia et Pro Patria, for Church and Country. The School was established in 1909 by the Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation. Our mission is to prepare boys in grades 4 through 12 to develop and use their spiritual, intellectual, artistic, and physical gifts not for themselves alone, but in service of the greater community. As an Episcopal school, we welcome and embrace boys of all faiths and backgrounds to this caring community that learns, prays, plays, sings, and eats together. We are committed to a diversity among students, faculty, and staff that shapes and enriches our shared experiences.
As part of the Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation (PECF), St. Albans, the Cathedral, the National Cathedral School, and Beauvoir benefit from strong ties and collaboration.
Reporting to Chair of Music, the Part-time Accompanist will support the coordination of the 4-12 music program at St. Albans School and National Cathedral School.
Specifically, areas of responsibilities will include:
- Accompanying choral rehearsals and performances;
- Leading sectionals;
- Playing for weekly chapel services;
- Collaborating with chaplains to plan chapel and Cathedral services;
- Assisting with set-up for rehearsals;
- Chaperoning music-related trips;
- Working closely with members of the music department to develop curricula and support occasional daytime and evening dress rehearsals, performances, and festivals.??
The position may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
This is a temporary position for the 2021-2022 academic year, with option for renewal.
For the purposes of management, performance assessment, and span of control, the INSERT POSITION directly supervises:
Experience: A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
Education: Bachelor’s required; Master’s preferred (preferably with a focus in piano, organ, music education, conducting, and/or pedagogy)
Certifications: Certification in specific music teaching methods (i.e. Kodaly, Orff, etc.) a plus, but not required
- Strong keyboard and accompanying skills;
- A strong knowledge of choral repertoire;
- The ability to model healthy vocal technique;
- Comfort with a wide variety of musical styles and traditions;
- Organist preferred, but not required;
- A clear, communicative, and expressive conducting technique/gesture;
- Experience with and a deep appreciation for lower, middle, and high school students;
- Ability to independently plan, organize, and coordinate multiple tasks;
- Demonstrated strategic skills in short- and long-term planning and facilitation and collaboration;
- Ability to negotiate, mitigate conflict, and build alliances;
- Experience managing people and teams to achieve desired results;
- Creative, innovative, and strategic thinking ability;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills;
- Ability to work efficiently and quickly under pressure;
- Sensitivity for and understanding of academic disciplines and issues;
- Ability to work with faculty, staff, and professionals to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
This position requires an individual with the following characteristics:
- Commitment to St. Albans School’s values;
- Good character, kindness, and an open heart and mind;
- Integrity and honesty, with the highest ethical standards to choose the hard right over the easy wrong;
- Personally accountable; assumes ownership, control and accountability for all areas of responsibility and commitments made to others;
- Accessible and responsive; serves others through collaborative problem-solving and openness to new ideas;
- Passionate, collaborative, strategic, and smart with a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves orientation;
- Strong team player with high EQ, making it a key priority to develop strong relationships with faculty and staff at all levels at the School;
- Invests the time to be a visible, engaged and engaging presence on campus;
- Ability to establish trust and credibility;
- Flexible and receptive to change;
- A positive “can-do” attitude.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to STAjobs@stalbansschool.org
with Part-time Accompanist, Music Department
written in the subject line.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
St. Albans seeks qualified individuals who are committed to fostering the academic, spiritual, athletic, and artistic growth of every student. St. Albans is committed to creating and maintaining a community that celebrates a diversity of voices and perspectives and fosters respect for everyone.
St. Albans School welcomes and values individuals from all backgrounds. Such diversity is essential to a community of learning and growth. In nurturing the hearts, minds, and bodies of its students, St. Albans prepares boys for fulfilling lives of responsibility, leadership, and service to others.
St. Albans is an equal opportunity employer. We select and promote employees based on qualifications and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status.