Governing Board Chair Maria Donoghue Velleca announced on July 28, 2017, that Jason F. Robinson will be the eighth headmaster of St. Albans School, succeeding Vance Wilson in July 2018. (Click here
to read her letter.)
To guide us in our search process for a new head of school, we retained Spencer Stuart, a global executive search firm with extensive experience finding educational leaders at institutions ranging from independent schools, including Episcopal boys’ schools, to major universities. Mary Gorman and Chuck Jordan will lead the Spencer Stuart team.
The school also formed a Search Committee, led by three co-chairs:
- Governing Board member and Finance Committee Chair Chris Gladstone ’75 (Parent ’12)
- Former Governing Board Chair and Cathedral Foundation Board member Julie Miller (P ’08, ’12)
- Governing Board Vice Chair Robert Musslewhite (P ’20).
The Search Committee engaged the St. Albans community in the search process in multiple ways. As part of the school’s ongoing curriculum review and long-range planning, and to provide context for the search, the school recently conducted confidential surveys of current parents, young alumni, students, and faculty and staff. The school is grateful to the many community members who participated.
In late February and early March, our Spencer Stuart team hosted a series of meetings on campus and in New York City, where they asked parents, faculty, staff, students, and alumni to share their thoughts about St. Albans, its future leadership, and the needs, hopes, and goals of the school community going forward. Each meeting revolved around the following questions:
● What is distinctive about St. Albans School?
● What opportunities and challenges face the next head?
● What characteristics, skills, and background do you seek in a new head of school?
● Given the above, how might our school be different in five or six years?
● What advice do you have for the Search Committee?
Lively discussions and thoughtful responses marked each gathering, small or large. Based on those conversations and research into our school, Spencer Stuart and the Search Committee drafted, and the Governing Board approved, the position description for the next head of school
We thank everyone who participated in the process and welcome Jason Robinson, his wife, Olinda, and their family to St. Albans in 2018.