Procedures for Driving to and Parking at St. Albans
Every parking space on the Close is assigned to one of the four institutions on the Close. St. Albans has been assigned the parking spaces closest to our campus. These include most of the spaces on Pilgrim Road, all the spots on Senior Circle, and some spaces on South Road and Lych Gate Road. We have divided these spaces into parking areas for faculty, students, visitors, volunteers, and school vehicles. Cars parked in these spaces between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, must have an assigned Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation (PECF) hangtag. The hangtags will ensure these spaces will be used solely by St. Albans constituents. At all other times, parking on the Close will be open to anyone.
We request that all visitors to St. Albans School park in the Cathedral parking garage, and avoid parking on neighborhood streets. All visitors should use the Garage’s main entrance off Wisconsin Ave., which is located at the Wisconsin Ave. traffic light near Hearst Hall. Thank you for your cooperation. Click here to access Cathedral Parking Garage information, hours, and rates or to view a map of the Cathedral Close.
St. Albans School Parking Map and Directions
Student Drop-Off Locations
Students may not be dropped off on Garfield Street at any time. Do not wait for your son on Garfield Street, on the gymnasium service road, or in St. Sophia’s turn-around area. We ask all families to drop off their children either next to the Little Sanctuary on Pilgrim Road or on Senior Circle using one of the following routes:
Pilgrim Road by the Little Sanctuary Drop Off
1. Parents will enter campus via Pilgrim Road off Massachusetts Avenue.
2. Parents will drop off their sons in the designated drop-off area close to the Little Sanctuary. We request that parents do not stop (except to drop off students) or park their vehicles in the drop-off lane.
3. Parents will proceed up Pilgrim Road, cross the intersection by the Peace Cross, and either turn left on Church House Lane to South Road, or proceed down the hill, and depart campus passing by Satterlee–Henderson Field.
Senior Circle Student Drop Off
1. Parents will enter campus via Lych Gate Road or South Road off Wisconsin Ave.
2. Parents will drop off their sons on Senior Circle. We request that parents do not stop (except to drop off students) or park their vehicles in the drop-off lane.
3. Parents will then either go straight on Church House Lane, and turning right on South Road, or turn right on Pilgrim Road, proceed down the hill, and depart campus passing by Satterlee–Henderson Field.
Please note that the following efforts are being made to facilitate traffic flow during the drop off period:
1. All cars dropping off on Pilgrim Road should do so as close to the Little Sanctuary as possible so that more cars can get onto Pilgrim Road and off Massachusetts Avenue. No one should park or stand in the drop-off lane between 7 a.m. and 8:15 a.m.
2. Four-way stop signs have been placed at the intersection of Pilgrim Road and Church House Lane by the Peace Cross.
3. A PECF police officer will help with traffic flow at that intersection.
Lower School Student Pick Up
1. All Lower School students should be picked up from the curb in front of the Lower School, as close to the Little Sanctuary as possible.
2. No students may be picked up on Garfield Street at any time. Please do not wait for your son on Garfield Street, on the gymnasium service road, or in St. Sophia’s turn-around area.
3. Parents will enter campus via Pilgrim Road off Massachusetts Avenue.
4. Parents may exit campus either by using Pilgrim Road or by turning left on to Church House Lane.
Upper School Student Pick Up
1. All Upper School students should be picked up either on Senior Circle, on Pilgrim Road by the amphitheater, or on Pilgrim Road by the tennis pavilion.
2. No students may be picked up on Garfield Street at any time. Please do not wait for your son on Garfield Street, on the gymnasium service road, or in St. Sophia’s turn-around area. Boys will be asked to move to the lower end of Grant Meadow on Pilgrim Road to wait for their rides in the evening or to go to Senior Circle.
3. Parents are encouraged to wait for their sons by parking on Pilgrim Road between Senior Circle and the George Washington Statue. In the afternoon there are often many spaces available in this area.
4. If parents pick up their sons at Senior Circle, they may exit campus either by going down Pilgrim Road or by taking Church House Lane to South Road.
Car Registration and Hangtags
Hangtags will be issued by the PECF police free of charge. Families of students who drive to school will be issued a maximum of one hangtag. Parking tags will be issued to faculty, staff, and students during opening faculty meetings and at student registration. During the year, if a faculty member, staff member, or student needs to replace or acquire a new hangtag, he/she should go to the PECF security office, located on the top floor of the parking garage.
Allocation of Spaces
After studying the commuting habits of faculty, staff, and students, we have set aside 83 spaces for faculty and 64 spaces for students. There will be clearly marked PECF parking signs designating where faculty, staff, and students may park. Students and faculty should never park on Garfield Street or in the surrounding neighborhood, including on evenings and weekends. Parents coming to school for a meeting on week days between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. may park in one of the visitor parking spaces on Pilgrim Road or Senior Circle, if available. If not, we ask you to park in the PECF garage (see below). If parents are attending an event after 3:30 p.m. or on weekends, we ask that they make every effort to park their car on the Close. Please remember that on-Close surface parking during that time does not require a permit/hangtag.
Garage Parking and Validations
Parents visiting campus on a school day between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. should first check one of the five visitor spaces located in front of the Lower School and on Senior Circle. If those spaces are unavailable, parents should park in the garage. During the school day, parking in the garage will cost $6.00 for the first hour, $10.00 for the second hour and $16.00 maximum for more than two hours; however, between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., the school will validate up to two hours of parking. To receive a validation stamp, parents should bring their parking ticket to the St. Albans School receptionist. The garage charges a $7.00 flat rate on weekday evenings and a $9.00 flat rate on Saturdays until 11:00 p.m. Garage parking will be free on Sundays during worship time.
Click here to determine Parking Garage information, hours and rates.
Parking on the Close between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, will be strictly regulated. In addition to the normal parking regulations (handicapped, fire lanes, etc.) faculty, staff, and students may park only in the designated spots and with the proper display of identification during this period. Anyone, including faculty, staff, students, and parents, who parks improperly will be subject to ticketing, fines and in some cases, towing. Unpaid tickets will be reported to a collection agency. Please note, fines generated by Cathedral Close traffic enforcement activities help St. Albans by reducing the garage maintenance and mortgage expense shared by the school.
The PECF police will take enforcement seriously so that the Close community members who have been assigned reserved spaces between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. have these spaces available to them. Thus people who receive multiple tickets or who do not pay their tickets will be subject to towing. The PECF police also have the capability to run license plate numbers on all unpaid tickets and will turn over the names of unpaid tickets to a collection agency. If you have questions about parking tickets or the parking garage, send an e-mail message to PECFparking@cathedral.org.
Parking in a handicap space $150
Parking in a fire lane (yellow curb) $100
Parking overnight $100
Parking in a crosswalk $50
Parking in a reserved space $30
Parking without a proper hangtag $25
Please contact the PECF Police Desk regarding any traffic issues at 202-537-5667. CPT Richard Coley can be reached at 202-537-6271, or e-mail him at email@example.com . Captain Coley’s office is located on the first floor in the new parking garage.
Thank you for your cooperation.
We request that all visitors to St. Albans School park in the Cathedral parking garage, and avoid parking on neighborhood streets. All visitors should use the Garage’s main entrance off Wisconsin Ave., which is located at the Wisconsin Ave. traffic light near Hearst Hall. Thank you for your cooperation.